TSE coaching philosophy
We are here to support you as an athlete to achieve your triathlon goals and to maximise your potential as an individual triathlete.
Our coaches encourage you to manage your own training and we will help, support and guide you as you strive to attain your personal triathlon objectives.
Triathlon is an individual sport and each athlete’s objectives could be very different from the next. For example, distances range from Sprint, Standard, Half Distance to Full Distance. You may be competing in low-key local events or aiming to qualify for the GB Age Group Team.
It is important for you to set your own objectives according to your ability and experience. These should be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-bound).
Examples of SMART objectives would be:
- To improve my race time at the Clacton Standard Distance event this season by five minutes when compared to my time at last year’s race
- To qualify for the GB Age Group Team for next year’s sprint distance World Championships
Lower level SMART objectives should be set which will build up to the main objective.
The coaches can assist you in setting your objectives.
Sessions are structured so that you will either be working in a group of athletes of similar ability or to facilitate athletes working at their own level. Sessions contain a mix of fitness and technique work.
We aim to make the sessions stimulating, varied and enjoyable for all abilities.
In order that the sessions are as safe and effective as possible we ask athletes to:
- Ensure you satisfy the minimum level of fitness for the session
- Ensure that you are medically fit to attend and complete the session
- Be ready to start the session on time
- Ensure you have the appropriate equipment, that it is in full working order and is safe to use
- Ensure you have appropriate clothing for the time of year
- Be well hydrated and fuelled before the session
- Bring fluid to all sessions and nutrition if required
- Not attend the session if you are injured
Work, life, training balance
We all lead busy lives and trying to juggle our lives at work and home whilst training for triathlon can be difficult.
Much of your triathlon training may be done from home when it can be undertaken at a time convenient to you. So, we understand you may not be able to attend all of the club training sessions on offer. We would encourage you to attend as many of the club sessions as you can for the following reasons:
- It is more motivating to train in a group
- You will develop technique
- You can meet and socialise with other club members
- Larger numbers allow training sessions to be better structured for mixed abilities
Meet the coaches
Our coaches are all qualified British Triathlon Federation coaches. Between them there is a wealth of triathlon knowledge and experience.
Short biographies of our coaches can be found here.
This knowledge and experience is available for you to tap into and we would encourage you to do so. Coaches are available to answer your questions and offer advice on club nights and before/after the organised training sessions. Face to face contact is preferred to answer your queries, as much more can be achieved in a five or ten minute chat rather than a prolonged email exchange
If you are new to triathlon then please seek the coaches’ advice. There are no stupid questions as we were all beginners once!
Top ten tips to achieve your triathlon goals
- Train regularly
- Develop strategies to maintain motivation
- Learn to pace yourself in all three disciplines when training and racing
- Work on technique as well as fitness in all three disciplines
- Transition is the fourth discipline – practice, practice, practice
- Plan your season early and construct your training programme to peak for your races
- Rest and recovery between training sessions is vital
- Technique and fitness are more important than having the very latest equipment
- Pay attention to nutrition and hydration when training and racing
- Be realistic on the quantity of training you can fit into your busy life
If you have any questions please ask. Remember that we are here to support you.
The TSE Coaches